Welcome to Must Read Horror, where we search the internet for the best horror articles of the week so you don’t have to. Without further ado:
- Horror Oasis look back at 1980’s Prom Night and consider how it broke the slasher formula
- Horror DNA present five excellent examples of parasitic body horror
- Hellhound Magazine identify six times modern horror movies were snubbed by the Oscars
- Bloody Disgusting consider the horror movie theme of the 2010s: Grief horror
- Horrified Magazine talk to Danny Robins, the playwright behind 2:22 – A Ghost Story
Leeroy Cross James re-examines 1980’s Prom Night, more than forty years later and analyses how it bucked trends within the slasher genre at the time.
Ahead of the release of his new body horror novella, Absolute Unit, Nick Kolakowski recommends five other examples, in various media, of the sub genre for Horror DNA.
Hellhound Magazine’s Matt Butler picks out six recent horror movies which probably ought to have been in the running for the Oscars, but which were snubbed by the academy.
Ron Breton, writing for Bloody Disgusting, looks back at some of the strongest horror movie releases of the 2010s, and picks out the theme of ‘Grief horror’ for examination.
With his play 2:22 – A Ghost Story opening next week, playwright Danny Robins sits down with Ellis Read of Horrified Magazine to talk about the piece and more besides.
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey