In this podcast Laird Barron talks about his forthcoming novel Blood Standard, the connection between horror and crime fiction, violence in horror, and much more.
Original photo credit: Jessica M. ‘Laird Barron and the upstart pup, Valentina.’
About Laird Barron
Laird Barron, an ex-pat Alaskan, is the author of several books, including The Imago Sequence and Other Stories; Swift to Chase; and Blood Standard. Currently, Barron lives in the Rondout Valley of New York State and is at work on tales about the evil that men do.
- [02:35] Interview start/J.W. Donley, via Patreon, asks about idea origins
- [09:20] Brian Asman, via Patreon, asks about top accomplishments from 2017 and goals for 2018
- [18:50] Brandon Petry, via Patreon, asks about the writing of ‘Andy Kaufman creeping through the trees’
- [30:05] Andrew M. Reichart, via Patreon, asks about clarity/tantalizing confusion re Laird’s cosmology
- [41:30] Eric Sparkman, via Patreon, asks about how much writing style is influenced by Alaska and how much by other writers and in what way
- [45:50] Almost dying twice in Alaska
- [53:15] Brian Asman, via Patreon, asks about the direction of weird fiction in the coming years
- [01:04:20] Brian Asman asks about a Mount Rushmore of Weird Fiction
- [01:10:25] Dan Howarth, via Patreon, asks about detachment vs critique whilst reading stories
- [01:16:15] Connect with Laird
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/thisishorror. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. This week we recommend Closing Time by Jack Ketchum.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey