In this podcast Matt Cardin talks about horror and spirituality, Thomas Ligotti, Alan Watts, and much more.
About Matt Cardin
Matt Cardin is a writer, editor, musician, and college professor and administrator living in North Texas. He is the author of the supernatural horror fiction collections Divinations of the Deep (2002) and Dark Awakenings (2010). He is also the author of the fiction collection To Rouse Leviathan (forthcoming from Hippocampus Press) and the editor of several academic nonfiction books, including Mummies around the World: An Encyclopedia of Mummies in Religion, History, and Popular Culture(2014), Ghosts, Spirits, and Psychics: The Paranormal from Alchemy to Zombies (2015), and Horror Literature through History: An Encyclopedia of the Stories That Speak to Our Deepest Fears (2017).
- [04:00] Life lessons growing up
- [06:30] Stories that impacted Matt as a child
- [09:00] College studies
- [18:40] What to do after graduating university
- [23:10] Connection between horror, spirituality and religion
- [29:20] Zen Christianity
- [32:45] Divinations of the Deep
- [51:50] What would you accept as evidence for the supernatural or existence of God? / Rationalisation and explaining
- [54:50] Thomas Ligotti
- [01:00:15] Born to Fear: Interviews with Thomas Ligotti—lessons learnt about Thomas Ligotti
- [01:03:00] Life lessons via Thomas Ligotti
- [01:04:40] Cult of positivity
- [01:10:20] Navigating the lens in which we view the world
- [01:13:40] Alan Watts
Coming October 5th, Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciduoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available October 5th. Get yours today.
- Matt Cardin fiction
- A Wrinkle in Time
- Robert Anton Wilson
- Alan Watts
- The Shallows by Nicholas Carr
- The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts
- Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld by Patrick Harpur
- A Course in Demonic Creativity
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey