In this podcast Andrew Pyper talks about his success as a New York Times Bestselling Author, his brand new novel The Damned, researching sociopaths, and much more.
About Andrew Pyper
Born in Stratford, Ontario, Andrew Pyper is the author of seven novels, including most recently The Damned and The Demonologist (a #1 National Bestseller in Canada and winner of the International Thriller Writers Award). Previous novels include Lost Girls (NYTimes Notable Book), The Wildfire Season (Globe and Mail Best Book) and The Killing Circle (NYTimes Crime Novel of the Year).
- [01:45] Interview start
- [02:23] Andrew’s initial interest in writing
- [06:00] Writing full-time
- [07:51] Writing routine
- [09:30] Marketing and publicity involvement
- [13:20] The importance of a life outside writing
- [15:53] Dealing with strengths and weaknesses as a writer
- [19:24] The horror writer label
- [27:40] Alice Munro
- [29:55] New York Times Bestseller
- [33:48] The Damned
- [37:03] Twins in horror
- [40:46] Researching sociopaths for Ash
- [44:25] Why did Ash kill the dog?
- [46:09] Creating a monster
- [51:58] Editorial involvement
- [01:00:03] Intimidating writers
- [01:01:53] After The Damned
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey