Welcome to Must Read Horror. We search the internet for notable horror articles, so you don’t have to. This week:
- A Brief History of Fake Blood
- The Definitive Foreign Language Horror Films: 20-11
- Dick Smith – 1922- 2014
- The 20 Best Horror Films Based On Folk Tales Around The World
- Toys of Terror #16.5: San Diego Comic Con Edition
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
Believe it or not, when a head gets lopped off in a horror movie, what spurts out is not real blood. Oh, no. It is a very clever invention known as ‘fake blood’, and it has been used in horror films since the very beginning (even though real blood is much cheaper and available in abundance). This article from Slate looks at the history of fake blood, also known as Kensington Gore.
Sound on Sight continues their top 50 countdown of foreign-language horror films. Who will be at 20? Who will be at 11, or 17, for that matter? There’s only one way to find out.
This week saw the loss of another genre great. Dick Smith wasn’t nicknamed “The Godfather of Make-Up” for nothing. His work inspired some of the greatest special effects and make-up artists working in the field today. This article from MAD – Maynard Art and Design offers a more personal reflection of the legendary make-up artist.
Folktales have a lot to answer for, including these 20 horror films as compiled and discussed by Taste of Cinema.
Fangoria’s Toys of Terror feature continues, this week focusing on the toys and figures that appeared at last week’s San Diego Comic Con, including NECA’s 7” Axehead Kaiju (from Pacific Rim), and a rather amazing 7” Ellen Ripley figure (looks just like Sigourney, too) in Aliens battle mode.
This Is Horror Books
The best way you can support This Is Horror is buy our books. Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available. We have a special offer on All Four Year One Books – JUST £10!
You can buy our latest release, The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud direct from us right now. Each direct order includes eBooks in PDF, epub and mobi format.
Buy This Is Horror Books on Kindle!
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan (Buy on Amazon UK) (Buy on Amazon US.)