In this podcast Mary SanGiovanni talks about Cosmic Shenanigans, becoming a professional writer, repetitive imagery, and much more.
About Mary SanGiovanni
Mary SanGiovanni is an award-winning American horror and thriller writer of over a dozen novels, including The Hollower trilogy, Thrall, Chaos, The Kathy Ryan series, and others, as well as numerous novellas, short stories and non-fiction. Her work has been translated internationally. She has a Master’s degree in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University, Pittsburgh, and is currently a member of The Authors Guild, The International Thriller Writers, and Penn Writers. She is a co-host on the popular podcast The Horror Show with Brian Keene, and hosts her own podcast on cosmic horror, Cosmic Shenanigans. She has the distinction of being one of the first women to speak about writing at the CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA, and offers talks and workshops on writing around the country. Born and raised in New Jersey, she currently resides in Pennsylvania.
- [02:55] When did Mary know she wanted to be a professional writer
- [30:15] Lucas Milliron, via Patreon, asks why cosmic horror is so versatile in today’s markets
- [35:30] Kev Harrison, via Patreon, asks whether Mary’s characters occupy the same universe in terms of lore, laws, and rules as Lovecraft’s
- [43:20] Cosmic Shenanigans / Silent Hill
- [53:30] SM Fedor, via Patreon, asks if there are subjects or themes cosmic horror excels in examining
- [01:02:20] Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, asks about being a lead woman in horror
- [01:10:35] Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks about repetitive imagery
- [01:18:20] Connect with Mary
- [01:19:00] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley, narrated by RJ Bayley
Violet by Scott Thomas
Pick up the brand new Scott Thomas book, Violet.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey