In this podcast Paul Tremblay talks about Growing Things, short story writing, short vs. long stories, and much more.
About Paul Tremblay
Paul Tremblay is the author of the novels The Cabin at the End of the World, Disappearance at Devil’s Rock, and A Head Full of Ghosts. His other novels include The Little Sleep, No Sleep till Wonderland, Swallowing a Donkey’s Eye, and Floating Boy and the Girl Who Couldn’t Fly (co-written with Stephen Graham Jones). His latest release is the short story collection, Growing Things.
- [03:00] Conversation start/highest and lowest points of the last year
- [09:05] Novella for Blake Crouch’s new series and promotional videos
- [13:00] The Horror Show: Terrified and The Witch in the Window
- [18:00] Hereditary
- [22:00] Which of his kids will Paul sacrifice so the world doesn’t end
- [22:30] Growing Things
- [25:00] Notes from the Dog Walkers
- [35:20] Stories to study to master short story writing
- [50:00] Swim Wants To Know If It’s As Bad As Swim Thinks
- [52:40] Secret meth user?
- [53:10] Survivor Song (forthcoming novel)
- [57:15] Ryan Whitley, via Patreon, asks about whether horror works differently in short and long formats and the gifts and challenges of each
- [01:01:50] How often does Paul write short stories these days
- [01:03:00] Juggling multiple projects
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
- Paul Tremblay fiction
- Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? by Joyce Carol Oates
- The Swimmer by John Cheever
Night Waves by David Irons
David Iron’s brand new novel, Night Waves, is available now, published by Cosmic Egg Books.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey