In this podcast Gwendolyn Kiste talks about The Rust Maidens, second-person point of view, new year goals, and much more.
About Gwendolyn Kiste
Gwendolyn Kiste is the author of the Bram Stoker Award-nominated fiction collection, And Her Smile Will Untether the Universe, from JournalStone; the dark fantasy novella, Pretty Marys All in a Row, from Broken Eye Books; and her debut novel, The Rust Maidens, from Trepidatio Publishing. Her short fiction has appeared in Nightmare Magazine, Shimmer, Black Static, Daily Science Fiction, Interzone, LampLight, and Three-Lobed Burning Eye as well as Flame Tree Publishing’s Chilling Horror Short Stories anthology, among others. A native of Ohio, she currently resides on an abandoned horse farm outside of Pittsburgh with her husband, two cats, and not nearly enough ghosts.
- [02:15] The Rust Maidens
- [06:00] Not identifying as bad
- [10:00] Being right vs doing the right thing
- [21:40] Autobiography
- [23:20] Returning to Ohio
- [46:25] Responding to negative reviews and criticism
- [54:50] D.W. Behrend, via Patreon, asks about second person point of view
- [01:05:00] Kev Harrison, via Patreon, asks about drafts and painting lush detail
- [01:16:30] Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, asks about goals for the new year
- [01:18:15] Typical working day
- [01:22:30] Lisa Quigley, via Patreon, asks about fiction and nonfiction projects
- [01:26:30] What do you hope people say about you when you’re not in the room
- [01:27:40] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:28:50] Something Gwendolyn believes many others do not
- [01:29:55] Worst writing advice
- [01:41:10] Connect with Gwendolyn
- [01:43:45] Two authors people should be reading more
- [01:46:30] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
- Sylvia Plath
- Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am Not Your Final Girl by Claire C. Holland
- Gwendolyn Kiste on Ladies of Horror Fiction Podcast
- The New Yorker Fiction Podcast
- The Other Stories Podcast
- The Writer’s Voice New Yorker Podcast
- Brooke Warra
- Eden Royce
The Mark by Lee Mountford
If you like mysterious depraved forces, tales of the occult, and stories that will have you looking under the bed, then you’ll love Lee Mountford’s gripping tale!
If It Bleeds by Matthew M. Bartlett
A limited edition chapbook published by Nightscape Press.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey