In this podcast David Bowles talks about Mexican-American folklore, southern gothic, story ideas, and much more.
About David Bowles
David Bowles is a Mexican-American author, poet and translator from South Texas, where he teaches at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. In 2016, his YA fantasy novel The Smoking Mirror was selected as a Pura Belpré Honor Book by the American Library Association, and his collection of Mesoamerican verse Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry won the 2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation. Bowles is author of several other books, including Border Lore, Shattering and Bricolage, Mexican Bestiary, and The Seed.
- [04:10] Interview start/juxtaposition of Southern American and Mexican-American roots
- [23:35] Starting point for Mexican-American folktales
- [30:40] Television series/exercise and story ideas
- [01:06:00] Epiphany with regards nutrition and diet
- [01:17:30] Being the odd one out in the family
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Buy David Bowles fiction
- Flour From Another Sack
- Horacio Quiroga fiction
- The Netherlands welcomes Trump in his own words