In this podcast John C. Foster talks about the rules of writing, writer’s block and full-time writing.
About John C. Foster
John C. Foster was born in Sleepy Hollow, NY, and has been afraid of the dark for as long as he can remember. A writer of thrillers and dark fiction, Foster was raised in the wilds of southern New Hampshire (read: not wild) before hauling stakes for the ersatz glow of Los Angeles. He has since relocated to the relative sanity of New York City where he lives with his lady, Linda, and their dog Coraline. Foster is an enthusiastic amateur cook, partially to offset all the griping that results from pushing his increasingly decrepit body through the rigors of martial arts training.
Foster’s stories can be found in issue #8 of Shock Totem and Dark Visions – Volume 2 from Grey Matter Press, as well as anthologies such as the Big Book of New Short Horror, Under the Stairs, Book of Horror 2, Dead Worlds 7: Undead Stories and Book of the Dead 6: Forever Dead, among others. His first novel, Dead Men, was released in July of this year by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing.
- [02:22] Interview start
- [02:45] Journey to full-time writing
- [11:05] Writer’s block and obstacles to writing
- [19:55] Writing away from home
- [27:50] Writing screenplays – help or hinderance writing prose
- [36:40] Rules of writing and books on writing
- [42:54] The beginnings of Dead Men
- [46:30] Mister White Shirley Jackson inspiration
- [56:35] Inspiration strikes and first drafts
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3789851/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey