In this podcast Laird Barron talks about Blood Standard, Crime Fiction, Toning Down The Weird, and much more.
About Laird Barron
Laird Barron, an ex-pat Alaskan, is the author of several books, including The Imago Sequence and Other Stories; Swift to Chase; and Blood Standard. Currently, Barron lives in the Rondout Valley of New York State and is at work on tales about the evil that men do.
Original photo credit: Henry Stampfel
- [04:00] Something you’ve changed your mind about recently
- [22:00] Why Blood Standard and why now
- [27:20] Rules whilst writing crime fiction
- [36:25] Toning down the weird
- [01:01:20] Mind/body connection and strength training
- [01:11:25] Dan Howarth, via Patreon, asks about lessons writing horror and crime fiction
- [01:14:55] Brian Asman, via Patreon, asks about the differences in constructing a protagonist for crime fiction and horror
- [01:20:45] Brian Asman, via Patreon, asks about an Ocean Eleven heist and crime writers
- [01:22:40] Reading crime fiction before writing Blood Standard
- [01:27:15] Lessons learnt as an awards juror
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
This Is Horror Podcast Patreon
Support the This Is Horror Podcast over on Patreon and get a variety of benefits including early bird access to all of our episodes, submit questions for guests, and our exclusive Patrons-Only Q&A Sessions.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey