In this podcast Alan Baxter talks about relocating to Australia, writing fight scenes, martial arts, and much more.
About Alan Baxter
Alan Baxter is a multi-award-winning author of supernatural thrillers and urban horror, and an international master of kung fu. He runs the Illawarra Kung Fu Academy and writes novels, novellas and short stories full of magic, monsters and, quite often, martial arts. He rides a motorcycle and loves his dogs. Find out more at Alan Baxter Online.
- [02:25] Moving from the UK to Australia
- [06:15] British vs Australian culture
- [15:00] Writing fight scenes—how to do it and mistakes to avoid
- [21:00] What writing can teach you about martial arts and what martial arts can teach you about writing
- [28:00] Starting a martial arts
- [32:50] Adrian Shotbolt, via Patreon, asks about co-writing stories
- [35:10] Working on multiple projects
- [37:20] Planning projects
- [45:00] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [46:30] Two fiction and two nonfiction recommendations
- [50:00] Anything changed your mind about recently
- [51:20] Connect with Alan
- [56:00]What’s next
- [57:15] Final thoughts
Coming October 5th, Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciduoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available October 5th. Get yours today.
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey