In this podcast Barbie Wilde talks about her success as the female cenobite in Hellraiser, her novel The Venus Complex, her collection The Voices of the Damned, the relationship between horror and erotica and much more.
About Barbie Wilde
As an actress, Barbie Wilde is best known for playing the Female Cenobite in Clive Barker’s classic cult horror movie Hellbound: Hellraiser II. As a writer, she has been called “…one of the finest purveyors of erotically charged horror around” by Fangoria, America’s best-selling horror magazine. Barbie has performed in cabaret in Bangkok, robotically danced in the Bollywood blockbuster, Janbazz, played a vicious mugger in Death Wish III, and appeared as a drummer for an electronica band in the so-called “Holy Grail of unfinished and unreleased 80’s horror” Grizzly II: The Predator, AKA Grizzly II: The Concert, which featured a then unknown George Clooney. Barbie was a founder member of the mime/dance/music group, SHOCK, which supported such artists as Gary Numan, Ultravox, Depeche Mode and Adam & the Ants in the 1980s. Barbie also presented and wrote eight different music and film review TV programs in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s. Since 2009, Barbie has contributed well-received short stories to various horror anthologies: ‘Sister Cilice’ for Hellbound Hearts, ‘U for Uranophobia’ for Phobophobia, ‘American Mutant: Hands of Dominion’ for Mutation Nation, ‘Polyp’ for The Mammoth Book of Body Horror and ‘A is for Alpdruck’ for Demonologia Biblica. Barbie’s critically acclaimed dark crime novel, The Venus Complex, was published by Comet Press in late 2012.
- [01:45] Interview start
- [02:05] Initial interest in horror
- [04:40] The origin of Barbie’s writing
- [12:35] Being known as the female cenobite
- [19:40] The genesis of The Voices of the Damned
- [23:20] Horror and erotica
- [27:15] The Venus Complex
- [35:40] Influences
- [56:00] Future projects
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Clive Bark, Hellbound: Hellraiser II videos and other assorted gems
- Buy Barbie Wilde books (UK)
- Buy Barbie Wilde books (US)
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.