In The Outer Dark’s inaugural episode, Livia Llewellyn previews Furnace (0:01:00, 0:11:30), her second short story collection published by Word Horde in Feb. 2016, and revisits Engines of Desire: Tales of Love and Other Horrors (Lethe Press, 2011) (0:02:05). Discussion includes the dream roots of most of her stories (0:08:00), Shakespeare and the influence of her theater background/method-acting on her work (0:14:56), a female perspective on body horror and “monsterized” physicality (0:20:40), pushing boundaries and differences between writing horror and erotica (0:29:45), the possibility of her writing a literary erotic horror novel soon (0:34:50), her love/hate relationship with insects (0:42:15), her weird dark erotica short stories which she is making available monthly through her Patreon account (0:43:50), and her reading recommendation of author Peter Dubé (0:48:00).
Special: The Making of Furnace
(0:50:15) Editor/publisher Ross E. Lockhart reveals his side of the story behind Furnace, including matching up cover artist Michael Garlington and book designer Scott R. Jones, as well other recent Word Horde books including The Lure of Devouring Light by Michael Griffin and some deep love to Lethe Press, Joe Pulver, and Dim Shores.
Order The Outer Dark T-shirts at SkurvyInk
Please subscribe to The Outer Dark podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to The Outer Dark via iTunes
Subscribe via Blubrry
Host/Executive Producer: Scott Nicolay
Co-Host, News From the Weird: Justin Steele
Associate Producer/Show Notes: Anya Martin
Logo Design: Nick “The Hat” Gucker
Music: Michael Griffin
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey