In this podcast Richard Thomas talks about editing, narrative point of view and literary agents.
About Richard Thomas
Richard Thomas is the author of six books—Disintegration and The Breaker (Random House Alibi),Transubstantiate(Otherworld Publications), and two short story collections, Staring Into the Abyss (Kraken Press) and Herniated Roots (Snubnose Press), as well as one novella in The Soul Standard (Dzanc Books). With over 100 stories published, his credits include Cemetery Dance, PANK, Gargoyle, Weird Fiction Review, Midwestern Gothic, Arcadia, Qualia Nous, Chiral Mad 2, and Shivers VI (with Stephen King and Peter Straub). He has won contests at ChiZine, One Buck Horror, and Jotspeak and has received five Pushcart Prize nominations to date. He is also the editor of three anthologies: The New Black (Dark House Press), The Lineup (Black Lawrence Press) and Burnt Tongues(Medallion Press) with Chuck Palahniuk. In his spare time he is a columnist at LitReactor and Editor-in-Chief at Dark House Press. His agent is Paula Munier at Talcott Notch. For more information visitwww.whatdoesnotkillme.com.
- [01:07] New voices
- [06:45] Collaborative fiction
- [12:00] Writing a story from multiple POVs
- [16:07] Professional development
- [23:54] Editing The New Black and editing Burnt Tongues with Chuck Palahniuk and Dennis Widmyer
- [28:15] Fred Venturini
- [29:55] When to get a literary agent and how to select the right agent
- [34:05] Morning rituals and daily habits
TIH 025: Richard Thomas on The Do’s and Don’ts of Short Story Writing
TIH 030: Asking For Forgiveness by Richard Thomas
TIH 031: Richard Thomas on Writing Disintegration, Short Stories and Narrative Voice
Richard Thomas fiction (UK)
Richard Thomas fiction (US)
Storyville: 15 Unconventional Story Methods
Disintegration by Richard Thomas (UK)
Disintegration by Richard Thomas (US)
Daily Rituals by Mason Currey (UK)
Daily Rituals by Mason Currey (US)
Echo Lake by Letitia Trent (UK)
Echo Lake by Letitia Trent (US)
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Sponsors & Affiliates
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3383518/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey