In this podcast Kelly Dunn talks about Famous Monsters of Filmland, professional horror writing, teaching communications, and much more.
About Kelly Dunn
Kelly Dunn is a freelance journalist, short-story writer, and novelist. Her short fiction has appeared in the Bram Stoker award-winning horror anthology After Death, the zombie anthology The Dead That Walk, and the Clive Barker-inspired anthology Midian Unmade among other venues. She is the creator and editor of the horror anthology Mutation Nation, and she is the author (under the pseudonym Savannah Kline) of the urban-fantasy novel Beloved of the Fallen. She is also a contributing writer to Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.
- [01:45] Professional work within writing and horror
- [02:50] Tap dancing around the thing you really want to do
- [08:50] Teaching Communications
- [11:20] Short stories
- [20:50] Fast-paced fiction vs slow burn
- [25:10] Typical day and week
- [26:40] Work for hire
- [31:00] Current work in progress
- [38:15] Famous Monsters of Filmland
- [49:00] David Irons, via Patreon, asks about putting own spin on a novel/film/story
- [56:00] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [57:25] What frightens Kelly
- [01:05:50] Living in the most peaceful time but doesn’t feel like it—Steven Pinker
- [01:07:45] Personal philosophies
- [01:08:45] Connect with Kelly
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
- After Death anthology
- The Dead That Walk: Flesh-Eating Stories anthology
- Midian Unmade
- Beloved of the Fallen by Savannah Kline
- The Dark Masters Trilogy by Stephen Volk
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley, narrated by RJ Bayley
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey