In this podcast Miscreations anthology special, Doug Murano and Michael Bailey talk about Miscreations, creating anthologies, targeted advertising, and much more.
About Doug Murano
Doug Murano lives somewhere between Mount Rushmore and the mighty Missouri River. He is the Bram Stoker Award-winning editor of Behold! Oddities, Curiosities and Undefinable Wonders and the co-editor of Bram Stoker Award-nominated Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories. Since 2008, his short stories have appeared in a number of venues. He is an Active Member of the Horror Writers Association and was the organization’s promotions and social media coordinator from 2013—15. He is a co-recipient of the HWA’s 2014 Richard Laymon President’s Award for Service.
About Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey is a freelance writer, editor, book designer, and a resident of forever-burning California. He is the recipient of the Bram Stoker Award (and 7-time nominee), Benjamin Franklin Award, over two dozen independent accolades, and a Shirley Jackson Award nominee.
- [03:20] Conversation start—laughter because we had to do the intro several times …
- [04:30] Miscreations origin story
- [06:40] Michael Bailey’s initial reaction to Miscreations
- [16:00] Targeted adverts and marketing via social media
- [20:25] Advertising
- [22:40] Night Worms
- [34:50] Alma Katsu’s intro
- [37:00] ‘You Are My Neighbour’ by Max Booth III
- [42:45] Lucas Milliron, via Patreon, asks about the most challenging thing about writing and editing anthologies
- [48:00] Poetry
- [55:15] Story order
- [58:20] Process going through open submissions
- [01:04:15] Brent Clarke, via Patreon, asks about Laird Barron’s story
- [01:07:55] Ryan Whitley, via Patreon, coming up with themes for anthologies
- [01:17:30] Funding anthologies
- [01:24:40] Lucy Snyder’s story
- [01:25:50] Brian Hodge
- [01:27:50] Joanna Parypinski
- [01:31:35] Final thoughts
Thanks for listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
- Miscreations edited by Doug Murano and Michael Bailey
- Miscreations (Barnes & Noble)
- Miscreations (Kobo)
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley, narrated by RJ Bayley
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey