In this podcast Lauren Beukes talks about crime and horror fiction, South Africa, her Creative Writing MA, and much more.
About Lauren Beukes
Lauren Beukes is a novelist, TV scriptwriter, documentary maker, comics
writer and occasional journalist. Her novels include the Arthur C Clarke Award winning novel Zoo City, Shining Girls, and Broken Monsters. Her next novel, working title Motherland, will be released in 2020. Lauren helped create South Africa’s first half-hour animated TV show, URBO: The Adventures of Pax Afrika, and has written kids animated shows for Disney UK and Millimages in France. Follow her on Twitter: @laurenbeukes
- [02:30] Early life lessons growing up
- [04:30] Privilege and corruption
- [10:30] First experiences writing stories
- [12:50] Hardest struggles as a writer and navigating difficulties / Motherland
- [17:55] MA in Creative Writing and lessons learnt
- [26:50] Creative doubt
- [32:00] New story, Ungirls
- [36:30] Roger Venable, via Patreon, wants to know about Lauren’s schedule and knowing which project to work on when
- [39:00] Genre identity
- [44:00] Multitasking projects
- [51:00] Ryan Whitley, via Patreon, asks about crime-horror intersection and recommendations
- [01:03:00] Connect with Lauren
- [01:03:50] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley, narrated by RJ Bayley
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey