In this podcast Grady Hendrix talks about writing with restrictions, reading six books daily, My Best Friend’s Exorcism, and much more.
About Grady Hendrix
Grady Hendrix is a novelist and screenwriter based in New York City. His novels include Horrorstor, named one of the best books of 2014 by National Public Radio, and My Best Friend’s Exorcism, for which The Wall Street Journal dubbed him ‘a national treasure.’ Paperbacks from Hell, his survey of outrageous horror novels of the 1970s and 80s, was called ‘pure, demented delight’ by the New York Times Review. He’s contributed to Playboy, The Village Voice, and Variety. His latest novel is We Sold Our Souls.
- [05:10] Early life lessons growing up /living in London/school library
- [15:00] First story to scare Grady
- [23:00] 600-word story about the New York subway system
- [24:30] Writing under limits/restrictions
- [25:30] The teacher who wound up dying in one of his classes
- [26:40] Writing professionally
- [31:30] Fake it till you make it
- [32:50] Living in Hong Kong
- [37:50] Reading up to six books per day
- [43:50] Clive Barker
- [50:00] Shirley Jackson / writing from a real lived authentic place
- [56:20] Response to work that doesn’t work for you
- [01:01:45] Reviews
- [01:11:10] Why Grady writes
- [01:13:00] My Best Friend’s Exorcism
- [01:16:00] Crappy things we do
- [01:20:40] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:22:10] Connect with Grady
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett
A dream for a drug. Pre-order The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett, a limited edition chapbook published by Nightscape Press.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey