In this podcast Peng Shepherd talks about The Book of M, identity and culture, lessons learnt from her Creative Writing MFA, and much more.
About Peng Shepherd
Peng was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona, where she rode horses and trained in classical ballet. She earned her M.F.A. in creative writing from New York University, and has lived in Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, London, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and New York. The Book of M is her first novel.
- [04:10] Early life lessons and reading habits
- [14:40] Writing stories at five years old that were bound
- [18:00] Lessons learnt from living in various cities and Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks about how different cities have informed Peng’s writing
- [21:30] Language learning in China
- [24:00] Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks about the most helpful lessons from MFA for publishing first novel, The Book of M
- [34:40] Elizabeth George Foundation grant
- [40:00] Zero Shadows Day
- [45:00] Names and memories
- [52:00] Three things integral to identity
- [56:35] Things from Taiwanese culture that we can all benefit from
- [59:50] Personal philosophies
- [01:02:40] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:06:25] Connect with Peng
- [01:06:45] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey