In this podcast Jonathan talks about ‘it’s good because …’, diversity and privilege, putting love first, and much more.
About Jonathan Janz
Jonathan Janz is the author of more than a dozen novels and numerous short stories. His work has been championed by authors like Joe R. Lansdale, Jack Ketchum, and Brian Keene; he has also been lauded by Publishers Weekly, the Library Journal, and the School Library Journal. His novel Children of the Dark was chosen by Booklist as a Top Ten Horror Book of the Year. Jonathan’s main interests are his wonderful wife and his three amazing children.
- [04:10] Chuck Buddha, via Patreon, asks about writing schedule
- [11:25] Taking care of physical and mental health
- [16:50] It’s good because …
- [18:45] Protecting our children’s identity
- [24:05] Fear and grounding yourself in reality
- [25:00] The territory wasn’t ISIS operated—that’s my error (see notes at the bottom)
- [29:45] Diversity
- [39:45] Religious privilege and hypocrisy
- [40:50] Jonathan’s religious beliefs
- [50:00] Putting love first
- [51:40] Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, asks why Jonathan writes in the horror genre and if he ever faces flak
- [54:20] Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks which pair of pants from Scares That Care wardrobe are Jonathan’s favourite
- [55:40] Best rollercoaster at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg
- [56:35] Biathlon involving writing and MMA
- [01:02:50] Calvin Shepherd journal sections of The Sorrows
- [01:06:40] Changes from first publication to now
- [01:08:50] Personal philosophies
- [01:15:20] Connect with Jonathan
- [01:16:10] Final thoughts
Information about the couple referenced in the interview.
A more balanced story: How a couple’s dream trip ended in tragedy at the hands of Isis
And here’s some fact-checking: Were an American Couple Killed by Isis While Trying to ‘Prove Humans Are Kind’?
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Tormented by Lee Mountford
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/7024699/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey