In this podcast Laird Barron talks about Crafting Sentences, Alibi Construction and Evidence Disposal, Supernatural Short Stories, and much more.
About Laird Barron
Laird Barron, an ex-pat Alaskan, is the author of several books, including The Imago Sequence and Other Stories; Swift to Chase; and Blood Standard. Currently, Barron lives in the Rondout Valley of New York State and is at work on tales about the evil that men do.
Original photo credit: Henry Stampfel
- [02:55] Dino Parenti, via Patreon, asks about story crafting and whether sparked by an emotion or if Laird starts with a character. Whether crime or horror dictates one more than the other.
- [14:10] Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks about crafting sentences and works to study
- [24:20] Roger Venegable, via Patreon, asks about techniques Laird prefers as a reader/writer to craft a central mystery for the protagonist to unveil
- [40:10] Andrew M Reichart, via Patreon, asks about how to avoid crime fiction validating rightwing law and order values
- [48:10] Bruce Redux asks for practical advice on alibi construction and evidence disposal
- [51:10] Jennifer Grindstaff’s horror course and supernatural shorter works to teach
- [59:00] Worst advice hear given to writers
- [01:10:15] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
- Laird Barron fiction
- Brian Evenson
- Elizabeth Hand
- Robert B. Parker
- Conrad Williams
- Peter Straub
- Gillian Flynn
- Livia Llewellyn
- Jim Thompson
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
This Is Horror Podcast Patreon
Support the This Is Horror Podcast over on Patreon and get a variety of benefits including early bird access to all of our episodes, submit questions for guests, and our exclusive Patrons-Only Q&A Sessions.