In this podcast Jasper Bark talks about the Horror Publishing Landscape, Crafting Characters, Distraction Free Lives, Social Media Breaks and much more.
About Jasper Bark
Jasper Bark is an award-winning novelist, children’s author and comic book writer. Famed for his imaginative storytelling he’s published four novels, twelve children’s books and countless comics and graphic novels. His work has been translated into nine languages and is used in schools throughout the UK to improve literacy. He regularly performs his work all over the country, on the radio and through regular podcasts.
- [05:30] Interview start/biggest life changes both personally and professionally
- [12:00] Contributing factors for shift in horror publishing landscape
- [17:00] Distraction free lives/social media breaks/mindfulness
- [38:50] Crafting characters: likeability vs relatability
- [45:00] Seth Godin’s ‘it’s not for you’ response/find something that is for you /reading the book at the right time in the right medium
- [54:00] Medium to composing work from project-to-project
- [01:05:00] Different agents for different modes of writing
- [01:13:00] What an agent can and cannot do for you
- [01:24:20] Outtakes
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/thisishorror. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. This week we recommend Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block.
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/6064222/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey