In this podcast Nadia Bulkin talks about growing up in Indonesia, demon myths, socio-political horror, and much more.
About Nadia Bulkin
Born in Indonesia, Nadia Bulkin spent half her childhood there, and the other half in the US midwest. Author of numerous short stories, her work has been featured in several Best of anthologies, including the excellent anthology Creatures, edited by Paul Tremblay and John Langan, Aickman’s Heirs, and is featured in the soon to be released Tales From a Talking Board. Her first collection, She Said Destroy was recently released through Worde Horde. Nadia currently resides in Washington D.C.
- [03:00] Life lessons growing up in Indonesia
- [06:50] First demon myth
- [12:40] Mother’s creepy story …
- [25:45] Best and worst childhood memories of living in America and Indonesia
- [32:30] Living in D.C.
- [33:30] Writing socio-political horror
- [38:45] Five Stages of Grief
- [47:50] What makes someone a monster
- [56:10] Living with depression
Coming October 5th, Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciudoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available October 5th. Get yours today.
- Nadia Bulkin fiction
- A Rose For Emily by William Faulkner
- A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor
- The Mayor Will Make a Brief Statement and then Take Questions by David Nickle
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/5825199/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey