In this podcast Betty Rocksteady talks about her forthcoming novella Like Jagged Teeth, the bizarro fiction genre, Arachnophile, and much more.
About Betty Rocksteady
Betty Rocksteady is your everyday Canadian weirdo with a leaning towards the macabre and grotesque. Besides writing violent and sexual and just plain weird fiction, she does black and white horror illustration. Her debut novella, Arachnophile, was part of Eraserhead Press’ 2015 New Bizarro Authors Series. If you’ve been dying to read about a man who falls in love with a giant spider, this is probably the book for you. Her short fiction has been published in Eternal Frankenstein, Lost Signals, Turn to Ash, and DOA III. Find out more at www.bettyrocksteady.com or connect on twitter @bettyrocksteady.
- [03:15] First experiences with story
- [5:55] Like Jagged Teeth
- [10:00] Writing weird fiction—do’s, don’ts, and misconceptions
- [22:40] Powering through writing boundaries
- [25:20] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about the inspiration for Arachnophile
- [30:30] The ingredients for a good bizarro story
- [34:00] Influences whilst writing Like Jagged Teeth
- [43:00] Writing as cathartic
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Betty Rocksteady fiction
- The Yellow Wallpaper
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
- Puppet Skin by Danger Slater
- Six Novels in Woodcut by Lynd Ward
- Into Thin Air
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/5218255/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey