In this podcast Ania Ahlborn talks about her new novel The Devil Crept In, research for stories, morning rituals, advice to her eighteen-year-old self, and much more.
About Ania Ahlborn
Born in Ciechanow, Poland, Ania Ahlborn has always been drawn to the darker, mysterious, and sometimes morbid sides of life. Her earliest childhood memory is of crawling through a hole in the chain link fence that separated her family home from the large wooded cemetery next door. She’d spend hours among the headstones, breaking up bouquets of silk flowers so that everyone had their equal share. Author of eight novels, Ania’s work has been lauded by Publishers Weekly, The New York Daily News, and The New York Times. Some of her work has been optioned for film. Beyond writing, Ania enjoys baking, scary movies, weird documentaries, traveling, discovering new restaurants, and (lots and lots of) coffee. She currently resides in the greater Portland, Oregon area with her husband, Will, and canine buddy, Sulley.
- [02:35] Interview start/Jonathan Cosgrove, via Patreon, asks about going too far with a character’s depravity before redemption
- [09:35] Research for stories
- [24:55] Genesis of The Devil Crept In
- [33:15] Morning rituals and daily habits
- [39:35] Crawling through a hole linking family home and cemetery
- [42:40] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [48:45] Two fiction and two non-fiction recommendations
- [57:20] Connect with Ania