In this podcast Ania Ahlborn talks about her new novel The Devil Crept In, research for stories, morning rituals, advice to her eighteen-year-old self, and much more.
About Ania Ahlborn
Born in Ciechanow, Poland, Ania Ahlborn has always been drawn to the darker, mysterious, and sometimes morbid sides of life. Her earliest childhood memory is of crawling through a hole in the chain link fence that separated her family home from the large wooded cemetery next door. She’d spend hours among the headstones, breaking up bouquets of silk flowers so that everyone had their equal share. Author of eight novels, Ania’s work has been lauded by Publishers Weekly, The New York Daily News, and The New York Times. Some of her work has been optioned for film. Beyond writing, Ania enjoys baking, scary movies, weird documentaries, traveling, discovering new restaurants, and (lots and lots of) coffee. She currently resides in the greater Portland, Oregon area with her husband, Will, and canine buddy, Sulley.
- [02:35] Interview start/Jonathan Cosgrove, via Patreon, asks about going too far with a character’s depravity before redemption
- [09:35] Research for stories
- [24:55] Genesis of The Devil Crept In
- [33:15] Morning rituals and daily habits
- [39:35] Crawling through a hole linking family home and cemetery
- [42:40] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [48:45] Two fiction and two non-fiction recommendations
- [57:20] Connect with Ania
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/5120954/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey