In this podcast Kristin Nelson talks about the Nelson Literary Agency, how to choose the right literary agent, writing a query letter and much more.
About Kristin Nelson
Kristin Nelson is President and owner of Nelson Literary Agency, LLC. She founded her agency in 2002, right on the cusp of traditional publishing morphing to digital, and the following year became known as “that agent sporting some newfangled tablet PC thing” while visiting editors in New York. In 2004, her agency went completely paperless much to the astonishment of her fellow agents. She also started blogging in 2006 along with only four or five other intrepid agent early adopters, and Pub Rants is still active today. She is probably one of the first literary agents to hire a full-time software engineer as an employee to run NLA Digital for clients looking to digitally self-publish. NLA is always evolving to keep stride with changes in the industry, and because of that, Kristin is often a popular speaker at conferences such as Digital Book World.
- [02:15] Interview start/the formation of the Nelson Literary Agency
- [04:00] Initial challenges
- [06:10] A day in the life of a literary agent
- [09:30] Searching for a literary agent
- [13:20] Choosing the right literary agent for you
- [15:30] Self-publishing
- [19:15] Biggest misconceptions about literary agents
- [21:50] Non-fiction recommendation
- [23:10] Lydia Peever, via Patreon, asks about the importance of prolific output for success
- [27:00] Novellas and agents
- [33:15] Writing a query letter
- [43:35] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [46:20] Connect with Kristin
- [46:45] Final thoughts
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Nelson Literary Agency
- Kristin Nelson Webinars
- Pub Rants
- No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald (UK)
- No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA and the Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald (US)
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey