In this podcast Geoff Brown talks about military horror, ghosts, haunted creative retreats, Resident Evil and more.
About Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown is an Australian writer and twice Australian Shadows Award finalist-editor raised in Melbourne’s gritty Western Suburbs. He is a trained nurse, and holds a Cert. IV in Professional Writing and Editing, as well as a Dip. Arts (Professional Writing and Editing). At graduation, Braun was awarded ‘Vocational Student of the Year’ and ‘2012 Student of the Year’ by his college. He writes fiction across various genres, and is the author of many published short stories. He has had numerous articles published in newspapers, both regional and metropolitan. He is the past president of the Australian Horror Writers Association (2011–2013), as well as the past director of the Australian Shadows Awards. He is an editor and columnist for This is Horror, and the guest editor for Midnight Echo #9. His memoir, Hammered, was released in early 2012 by Legumeman Books and has been extensively reviewed. He is the owner of Cohesion Editing and Proofreading, and has now opened a publishing house, Cohesion Press.
- [00:53] About Geoff
- [01:25] President of the AHWA
- [01:55] The Australian horror scene – publishers, writers, awards,
- [07:15] Cohesion Press: how it started
- [09:04] Military horror
- [11:47] SNAFU
- [13:56] Rates for authors, royalties and profit in anthologies
- [16:31] A typical day
- [22:45] Future releases
- [24:30] Most haunted creative retreats
- [29:14] The atmosphere of haunted buildings
- [31:15] Cost of attending a creative retreat
- [33:00] S.D. Perry/Resident Evil
- [43:45] Cover art
- [49:38] Marketing – what has and hasn’t worked for Cohesion Press
- [51:55] Dream authors to contribute to SNAFU and Cohesion Press
- [53:00] Writing out of your comfort zone
- [59:42] Kindle Unlimited
- [01:09:00] Writers to watch
- [01:11:40] Film recommendations
- [01:11:56] Tips for writers, editors and publishers
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3517055/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey