In this podcast Nathan Ballingrud talks about The Visible Filth, His Second Collection, Winning The Shirley Jackson Award and What Writers Should and Shouldn’t Do.
About Nathan Ballingrud
Nathan Ballingrud is an American writer of horror and dark fantasy. His first book, the short story collection North American Lake Monsters, was published in 2013 by Small Beer Press to great acclaim, including winning the Shirley Jackson Award and being shortlisted for the World Fantasy, British Fantasy, and Bram Stoker awards. He lives in Asheville, NC, with his daughter.
- [0:10] Special offer for those who pre-order The Visible Filth this weekend.
- [2:48] How The Visible Filth sets itself apart from previous Nathan Ballingrud stories.
- [07:30] Physical reactions to fiction
- [10:14] Writing outside the horror genre
- [11:25] The Atlas of Hell and Nathan’s second collection
- [14:57] Writing routine
- [17:00] Sending work to beta readers
- [19:55] Personal development
- [21:08] Best books Nathan read last year
- [32:15] Authors that intimidate, intrigue or excite
- [35:24] Winning the Shirley Jackson award for ‘The Monsters of Heaven’
- [37:50] Adapting Nathan’s fiction for the screen
- [40:25] Most frequently gifted books
- [41:34] What writers should and shouldn’t do
- [46:00] Final thoughts
- [48:48] The Visible Filth audiobook preview
Pre-order The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud (UK)
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud (US)
The Land Breakers by John Ehle (UK)
The Land Breakers by John Ehle (US)
All That Is by James Salter (UK)
All That Is by James Salter (US)
Gifts For The One Who Comes After by Helen Marshall (UK)
Gifts For The One Who Comes After by Helen Marshall (US)
Last Days by Adam Nevill (UK)
Last Days by Adam Nevill (US)
Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel (UK)
Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel (US)
Monsters In The Heart by Stephen Volk (UK)
Monsters In The Heart by Stephen Volk (US)
The Moon Will Look Strange by Lynda Rucker (UK)
The Moon Will Look Strange by Lynda Rucker (US)
Whitstable by Stephen Volk (UK)
Whitstable by Stephen Volk (US)
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (UK)
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (US)
Sponsors & Affiliates
The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available.
This includes The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud which comes out at the end of March. You can pre-order The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud right now.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3438217/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey