“The War in the Dark by Nick Setchfield promises to combine thrilling international intrigue with the occult during the height of the Cold War in ways we’ve never seen before.”
The Cold War, 1963.
A botched assassination of a traitor forces British Intelligence agent Christopher Winter to escape London. With a mysterious woman named Karina Lazarova, he must discover the true meaning of an occult secret written in a language of fire. A secret that gives ultimate power to those who possess it.
Racing against time with the Russians in pursuit, they follow the leads from the hellish Hungarian border to Berlin, from a strange house in Vienna to a war-torn ruin in Bavaria. There, spawned from the power of white fire and black glass, an unholy nightmare awaits.
A world of secret societies and the occult.
A world at war in the dark.
Why we’re excited about this book:
Garnering advance praise from Tim Lebbon (” … a thrilling, shocking, action-packed delight! Its horror and magical elements are firmly grounded in a beautifully realised, strangely topical reality, and its momentum never lets up.”), and Mark Morris (“Like an irresistible blend of a John Le Carré spy thriller and Hammer’s The Devil Rides Out.“), The War in the Dark by Nick Setchfield promises to combine thrilling international intrigue with the occult during the height of the Cold War in ways we’ve never seen before. Setchfield is the features editor for SFX, a regular contributing writer to Total Film and his movie reviews have been featured on the BBC. The War in the Dark is his first novel, available for pre-order now, and releases 17 July 2018.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey