“With The Return, her debut novel, Harrison’s story aims to give readers a creepy, sinister, weekend reunion party from Hell.”
Elise is the only one who ever believed Julie would come back. Missing for two years, Elise never gave up hope. She knew her best friend would return. And then, two years to the day, Julie comes back.
She has no memory of what happened, or even where she’s been.
Elise and Julie, with two of their friends from college, decide to get together at a remote inn. This is a time to celebrate, to reunite. But Elise knows something isn’t right as soon as she sees Julie. Her friend is now rather thin, her skin sallow, and her appetite is quite odd.
During the weekend, Elise realizes the Julie who finally returned is not the same Julie who left two years ago.
Who … or what … is she?
Why we’re excited about this book:
Here at This Is Horror, we are constantly on the look out for those books that hit that horror nerve, that might just be something special. With Rachel Harrison’s The Return, we think we’ve found another one of those books. Born and raised in New Jersey, Rachel Harrison has worked in banking, in publishing, and for TV game shows. With The Return, her debut novel, Harrison’s story aims to give readers a creepy, sinister, weekend reunion party from Hell. Alma Katsu (The Hunger, The Deep) says: “Combining suspense and horror with razor-sharp insights into the nature of female friendships, Rachel Harrison’s The Return is a creepy, nerve-wracking, page-turning addition to the emerging field of horror thrillers.”
Releasing 24 March 2020 from Berkley Publishing, The Return by Rachel Harrison is available for pre-order now.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey