In this podcast we interview the award-winning author Stephen Graham Jones. We talk about his latest novel Not For Nothing, his This Is Horror chapbook The Elvis Room, Richard Thomas’ forthcoming anthology The New Black, zombies, the slasher genre and much more.
[00:50] Stephen Graham Jones introduction and early career
[03:50] What you can and can’t learn in a Creative Writing programme
[05:08] Advice for new writers
[06:00] Spanning different genres
[07:00] Writing in the second person
[12:10] Exploring new genres
[16:40] Zombie Bake Off: Pro wrestling and zombies
[19:20] The Zombie Renaissance
[25:00] Staying on top of everything and keeping productive
[27:00] Drafting and redrafting
[32:20] Dealing with self doubt
[34:49] First novel
[40:00] The Elvis Room
[42:00] Belief in the supernatural
[43:20] Scaring people
[44:30] The Last Final Girl
[47:40] Slasher films
[51:35] Scream sequels
[55:50] The Velvet
[58:50] Social media
[01:04:40] Going back to old work
[01:06:10] Stephen’s current reading list
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Resources and recommendations
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2815045/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey