In this podcast Michael Griffin talks about Compiling Short Story Collections, Writing and Music, Writing Advice Ignored, and much more.
About Michael Griffin
Michael Griffin has released a novel, Hieroglyphs of Blood and Bone (Journalstone, 2017) and a short fiction collection, The Lure of Devouring Light (Word Horde, 2016). His second collection, The Human Alchemy, comes out at the end of June, 2018, again from Word Horde. His stories have appeared in magazines like Apex and Black Static, and the anthologies Looming Low, Eternal Frankenstein, The Children of Old Leech, and the Shirley Jackson Award winner The Grimscribe’s Puppets. He’s also an ambient musician and founder of Hypnos Recordings, an ambient record label he operates with his wife in Portland, Oregon. Michael’s blog is at griffinwords.com and on Twitter, he posts as @mgsoundvisions.
- [03:40] Conversation start
- [04:40] Important life lessons growing up
- [09:30] Balance between fun and serious endeavour whilst creating
- [11:40] Impact of first collection, The Lure of Devouring Light / marketing / social media
- [25:00] Music and fiction consumption habits
- [27:00] Kindle Unlimited
- [34:45] Interest in writing and music origins
- [40:15] Time away from writing game changer
- [42:00] Rejection advice ignored
- [49:50] How writing stories with a collection in mind changed approach
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
This Is Horror Podcast Patreon
Support the This Is Horror Podcast over on Patreon and get a variety of benefits including early bird access to all of our episodes, submit questions for guests, and our exclusive Patrons-Only Q&A Sessions.