In this podcast Orrin Grey talks about Never Bet The Devil, classic horror monsters, finding your writing voice, and much more.
About Orrin Grey
Orrin Grey is a writer, editor, amateur film scholar, and monster expert who was born on the night before Halloween. His stories of monsters, ghosts, and sometimes the ghosts of monsters have appeared in dozens of anthologies, including Ellen Datlow’s Best Horror of the Year, and been gathered into two volumes, Never Bet the Devil & Other Warnings and Painted Monsters & Other Strange Beasts. He also writes licensed fiction and other odds-and-ends for Privateer Press, and he likes to play Hordes whenever he gets the chance, where he is utterly devoted to his beloved Gatormen. His writing about film has appeared in places like Strange Horizons and Clarkesworld, and he writes a regular column on vintage horror cinema at Innsmouth Free Press. John Langan once referred to him as “the monster guy,” and he never lets anyone forget it.
- [04:00] Important life lessons growing up
- [07:25] Being treated as an adult whilst a child—things learnt that shouldn’t have learnt and things should have learnt that didn’t learn as a kid
- [11:50] First experiences with story
- [14:05] Introduction to classic horror monsters/finding your own voice as a writer
- [24:20] Voice, first-person narration, character, and writing process
- [28:45] Writing stories that pay homage whilst maintaining own voice
- [32:00] Daily and weekly routine: structuring fiction and freelance work
- [34:30] Beta readers
- [39:00] The Mummy movie
- [43:00] Resident Evil movies/Exorcist 3 transition
- [51:50] Never Bet The Devil
Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciduoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available now. Get yours today.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey