In this podcast David Bowles talks about Chupacabra Vengeance, kaiju, Lords of the Earth, and much more.
About David Bowles
David Bowles is a Mexican-American author, poet and translator from South Texas, where he teaches at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. In 2016, his YA fantasy novel The Smoking Mirror was selected as a Pura Belpré Honor Book by the American Library Association, and his collection of Mesoamerican verse Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry won the 2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation. Bowles is author of several other books, including Border Lore, Shattering and Bricolage, Mexican Bestiary, and The Seed.
- [02:30] Interview start/moment decided to become a writer
- [09:55] Retelling classic folktales in school
- [15:05] The joy of writing
- [17:15] Themes connecting Chupacabra Vengeance collection together
- [24:00] Starting point to David Bowles’ work
- [27:30] Blending science and myth, reality and folklore
- [31:30] Favourite kaiju/variety within collections
- [52:45] Grant Longstaff, via Patreon, asks about movies and books that inspired Lords of the Earth
- [57:40] Jake Marley, via Patreon, asks about outlining vs discovering
- [01:01:30] Grant Longstaff, via Patreon, asks about favourite short stories
- [01:16:00] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:19:20] Connect with David Bowles
- [01:23:35] Final thoughts
- [01:32:00] Outtakes
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Buy David Bowles fiction
- Flour From Another Sack
- Horacio Quiroga fiction
- The Netherlands welcomes Trump in his own words
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.