In this podcast Angela Slatter talks about her brand new novel Vigil, working with Jo Fletcher, fairy tales and much more.
About Angela Slatter
Specialising in dark fantasy and horror, Angela Slatter is the author of The Girl with No Hands and Other Tales, Sourdough and Other Stories, The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings, and Black-Winged Angels, as well as Midnight and Moonshine and The Female Factory (both with Lisa L. Hannett). She has won a World Fantasy Award, a British Fantasy Award, a Ditmar Award, and five Aurealis Awards, as well as being a finalist for the Norma K. Hemming Award. Her novellas, Of Sorrow and Such (from Tor.com), and Ripper (in the Stephen Jones anthology Horrorology, from Jo Fletcher Books) were released in October 2015. Angela’s urban fantasy novel, Vigil (based on the short story ‘Brisneyland by Night’), was released by Jo Fletcher Books this month, and the sequel, Corpselight, will be released in 2017.
- [02:55] Interview start/first experiences with story
- [04:40] The influence of fairytales
- [06:00] PHD thesis
- [09:00] Scott Pohlenz, via Patreon, asks about plans for sequels in Sourdough and Bitterwood series
- [12:50] Working on multiple projects at the same time
- [15:50] Deadline extensions
- [21:50] Lessons learnt working with Jo Fletcher
- [26:30] Jake Marley, via Patreon, asks about story length and revisions
- [37:30] Vigil expanded from the short story ‘Brisneyland by Night’
- [42:30] Urban fantasy reading
- [46:15] Marketing and blog tours with Jo Fletcher Books
- [53:00] Conventions around the world—commonalities and differences
- [55:40] Morning rituals and daily habits
- [59:40] Advice to eighteen year old self
- [01:01:50] Intimidating writers
- [01:03:45] White whales and career aspirations
- [01:06:00] Book recommendations
- [01:08:10] Connect with Angela
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey