In this podcast Stephen Graham Jones talks about his brand new werewolf novel, Mongrels, common writing mistakes, self-doubt and much more.
About Stephen Graham Jones
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It’s a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He’s married with a couple kids, and probably one too many trucks.
- [03:15] Interview start/most important lessons in last year/working with a new publicist
- [08:50] Inspirations for Mongrels/great advice on writer’s block
- [13:00] Jesse Lawrence, via Patreon, asks about long drives and being horror movie stranded in real life
- [20:05] Dual POV impetus
- [26:15] Published Vs Unpublished stories ratio
- [30:50] Seeing projects through to completion
- [34:00] One year of not publishing a novel and lessons from new Literary Agent, BJ Robbins.
- [43:10] Most common mistakes from new writers
- [44:50] Self-doubt
- [49:30] Financial impact on not publishing a novel for a year/Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about quitting the day job and teaching writing courses online
- [53:30] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks if Stephen has discovered the secret to writing a good rom-com novel
- [54:00] Mongrels and Near Dark connection
- [59:50] Werewolf tropes
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey