In this podcast Stephen Graham Jones talks about his brand new werewolf novel, Mongrels, common writing mistakes, self-doubt and much more.
About Stephen Graham Jones
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It’s a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He’s married with a couple kids, and probably one too many trucks.
- [03:15] Interview start/most important lessons in last year/working with a new publicist
- [08:50] Inspirations for Mongrels/great advice on writer’s block
- [13:00] Jesse Lawrence, via Patreon, asks about long drives and being horror movie stranded in real life
- [20:05] Dual POV impetus
- [26:15] Published Vs Unpublished stories ratio
- [30:50] Seeing projects through to completion
- [34:00] One year of not publishing a novel and lessons from new Literary Agent, BJ Robbins.
- [43:10] Most common mistakes from new writers
- [44:50] Self-doubt
- [49:30] Financial impact on not publishing a novel for a year/Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about quitting the day job and teaching writing courses online
- [53:30] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks if Stephen has discovered the secret to writing a good rom-com novel
- [54:00] Mongrels and Near Dark connection
- [59:50] Werewolf tropes
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4353025/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey