In this podcast Damien Angelica Walters talks about her award-winning collection Sing Me Your Scars, short story writing, unusual influences and much more.
About Damien Angelica Walters
Damien Angelica Walters is the author of Paper Tigers (Dark House Press, 2016) and Sing Me Your Scars (Apex Publications, 2015). Her short fiction has been reprinted in The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy & Horror and The Year’s Best Weird Fiction and published in in various anthologies and magazines, including Cassilda’s Song, Nightscript I,Cemetery Dance Online, Nightmare Magazine, Black Static, and Apex Magazine. ‘The Floating Girls: A Documentary’ was a finalist for a 2014 Bram Stoker Award; ‘Sing Me Your Scars’ the title story of her collection, is a 2015 nominee. She’s also a freelance editor and, until the magazine’s closing in 2013, she was an Associate Editor of the Hugo Award-winning Electric Velocipede. She lives in Maryland with her husband and two rescued pit bulls.
- [01:00] Interview start/morning rituals and daily habits
- [02:00] Freelance editing and writing ratio
- [03:15] Biggest takeaways working for Electric Velocipede
- [04:35] Short story writing
- [10:05] Editors and rejections
- [17:10] Unusual influences
- [20:15] Sing Me Your Scars reception
- [24:10] Importance of revisiting old tropes
- [30:40] H.L. Nelson, via Patreon, asks how to infuse stories with emotional resonance
- [33:50] Advice for eighteen year old self
- [38:45] Intimidating writers
- [44:40] Two fiction and non-fiction recommendations
- [47:35] White whales and career aspirations
- [49:50] Connect with Damien
- [52:05] Final thoughts
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Damien Angelica Walters fiction (UK)
- Damien Angelica Walters fiction (US)
- The Poisoner’s Handbook by Deborah Blum
- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
- Furnace by Livia Llewellyn
- Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt
- The Last Weekend: A Novel of Zombies, Booze, and Power Tools by Nick Mamatas
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey