In this podcast Richard Thomas talks about his new novel, Breaker, his exciting new venture, Gamut Magazine, and the ins and outs of Kickstarter fundraising. This episode is packed full of content, advice and lessons from editor, writer and publisher, Richard Thomas.
About Richard Thomas
Richard Thomas is the author of seven books: Three novels, Disintegration and Breaker (Random House Alibi), and Transubstantiate (Otherworld Publications); three short story collections, Tribulations (Crystal Lake), Staring Into the Abyss (Kraken Press), and Herniated Roots (Snubnose Press); as well as one novella of The Soul Standard (Dzanc Books). With over 100 stories published, his credits include Cemetery Dance, PANK, Gargoyle, Weird Fiction Review, Midwestern Gothic, Arcadia, Qualia Nous, Chiral Mad 2 & 3, Gutted, and Shivers 6. He has won contests at ChiZine and One Buck Horror, and has received five Pushcart Prize nominations to date. He is also the editor of four anthologies: Exigencies and The New Black (Dark House Press), The Lineup: 20 Provocative Women Writers (Black Lawrence Press) and Burnt Tongues (Medallion Press) with Chuck Palahniuk (finalist for the Bram Stoker Award). In his spare time he is a columnist at LitReactor and Editor-in-Chief at Dark House Press. He has taught at LitReactor, the University of Iowa, StoryStudio Chicago, and in Transylvania.
- [05:30] Interview start
- [05:55] 2015 Richard Thomas Year in Review
- [18:08] Breaker
- [25:15] Lessons learned from Disintegration that affected marketing, promotion and release of Breaker
- [28:00] Advantages and dangers of genre labels
- [37:04] Gamut Magazine
- [52:00] Fundraising with Kickstarter
- [55:52] Misconceptions about setting up a magazine
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Richard Thomas fiction (UK)
- Richard Thomas fiction (US)
- TIH 031: Richard Thomas on Writing Disintegration, Short Stories and Narrative Voice
- TIH 030: Asking For Forgiveness by Richard Thomas
- TIH 025: Richard Thomas on The Do’s and Don’ts of Short Story Writing
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey