In this podcast Laura Mauro talks about early writing experiences, life lessons, putting yourself first, and much more.
About Laura Mauro
Laura Mauro started writing short fiction in 2012 and hasn’t stopped since. Born in London, England, her stories have appeared in Black Static, Interzone, Shadows & Tall Trees, The Dark, and a variety of anthologies. Her debut novella Naming the Bones was published in 2017 and her collection, Sing Your Sadness Deep was published in 2019 via Undertow Publications. Her short story ‘Sun Dogs’ was a Shirley Jackson Award finalist, and ‘Looking for Laika’ won the 2018 British Fantasy Award in Short Fiction.
- [03:20] First experiences writing
- [06:30] Headmaster / school / self-fulfilling prophecies
- [29:00] Writing about sensitive/difficult topics
- [34 50] Sensitivity readers/the more we learn the less we know
- [36:55] Early life lessons
- [42:30] Rehabilitation
- [52:00] Don’t take someone else’s joy away
- [55:30] Anxiety/ internet arguments/ putting yourself first
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
I’m Not Even Supposed to Be Here Today by Brian Asman
Pick up the brand new Brian Asman book, I’m Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today.
The Sinister Horror Company
The Sinister Horror Company has a simple mission: to write, publish and launch innovative and exciting genre fiction.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey