In this podcast Brian Keene talks about writing for market, public vs. private persona, last year’s burn accident, and much more.
About Brian Keene
Brian Keene writes novels, comic books, short fiction, and occasional journalism for money. He is the author of over forty books, mostly in the horror, crime, and dark fantasy genres. Keene’s 2003 novel, The Rising, is often credited (along with Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead comic and Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later film) with inspiring pop culture’s current interest in zombies. Keene’s works have been translated into German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Italian, French, Taiwanese, and many more. In addition to his own original work, Keene has written for media properties such as Doctor Who and Alien. Keene also oversees Maelstrom, his own small press publishing imprint specializing in collectible limited editions, via Thunderstorm Books. Keene also hosts the popular podcasts The Horror Show with Brian Keene and Defenders Dialogue.
- [02:30] Conversation start
- [04:30] Life lessons growing up
- [08:50] Bullies
- [18:05] Darkness at the edges of society growing up and attraction to horror
- [22:20] Ghost story and the comic book destruction
- [26:25] Lessons from other jobs
- [35:35] Public vs private persona
- [44:30] Writing for the market early on
- [52:20] Writing a western
- [01:02:20] Brian’s accident last year and how that’s affected his life one year later
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley, narrated by RJ Bayley
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey