In this podcast John F.D. Taff talks about The Fearing, pitching projects to publishers, LitReactor course creation, and much more.
About John F.D. Taff
John F.D. Taff is a Bram Stoker Award-Nominated author with more than 30 years experience, 90+ short stories and five novels in print. His first fiction collection, Little Deaths, was named the best horror collection of 2012 by HorrorTalk. Jack Ketchum called his novella collection, The End in All Beginnings, “one of the best novella collections I’ve read.” His fiction collection, Little Black Spots, was published by Grey Matter Press. His latest release, The Fearing: Fire and Rain is out right now. Look for more of his work in anthologies such as Cutting Block Book’s Single Slices, Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories, The Beauty of Death, Shadows Over Main Street 2 and Behold: Oddities, Curiosities and Undefinable Wonders. Taff lives in the wilds of Illinois with three pugs, two cats and one long-suffering wife.
- [02:00] The Fearing release and genesis
- [21:45] Alan Baxter story/genre conventions
- [26:00] What makes Grey Matter Press stand out
- [36:00] Pitching projects to publishers
- [53:00] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about the biggest challenges when writing longer fiction and John’s preferred story length
- [58:00] Novellas
- [01:02:30] John Foster, via Patreon, asks about John’s greatest fear
- [01:06:30] John Foster, via Patreon, asks which sin John is most aligned with and why
- [01:12:40] Roger Venable, via Patreon, asks about Litreactor course creation and insights
- [01:20:00] Connect with John/final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Night Waves by David Irons
David Iron’s brand new novel, Night Waves, is available now, published by Cosmic Egg Books.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey