In this podcast M.R. Carey talks about The Girl with All the Gifts, Someone Like Me, writing comics, and much more.
M. R. Carey has been making up stories for most of his life. His novel The Girl With All the Gifts was a word-of-mouth bestseller and is now a major motion picture based on his own screenplay. Under the name Mike Carey he has written for both DC and Marvel, including critically acclaimed runs on Lucifer, Hellblazer, and X-Men. His creator-owned series The Unwritten appeared regularly in the New York Times graphic fiction bestseller list. He also has several previous novels, games, radio plays, and TV and movie screenplays to his credit.
- [02:00] Early life lessons
- [09:15] Telling and writing stories from an early age
- [12:30] Writing vocationally/moving from teaching to comics
- [16:40] Heavy metal and Malibu Comics
- [23:40] Impostor syndrome, self-doubt, and thinking of self as a writer
- [27:00] Phases of M.R. Carey’s work
- [29:10] Writing in different mediums: transferrable lessons and what makes each medium uniquely their own
- [40:50] The Girl with all the Gifts
- [48:45] Ryan Whitley, via Patreon, asks about the vision of The Girl with all the Gifts
- [51:35] Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, asks about the writing process
- [59:25] Someone Like Me—issues of identity and self.
- [1:06:20] Connect with M.R. Carey
- [1:07:10] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on iTunes
- Listen to This Is Horror Podcast on Spotify
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey