In this podcast Preston Fassel talks about Our Lady of the Inferno, Fangoria, working in a police department evidence room, and much more.
About Preston Fassel
Preston Fassel is a three-time Rondo Award-nominated journalist and author whose work has appeared in Rue Morgue Magazine, Screem Magazine, and on Cinedump.com. He was born in Houston, Texas and grew up between St. Charles, Missouri and Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. In 2004, he was a recipient of the President’s Volunteer Service Award, Gold Level, for work conducted with the Broken Arrow Police Department evidence room. He graduated Summa Cum Laude from Lone Star College-Montgomery with an AA in 2009 and Cum Laude from Sam Houston State University with a BS in 2011. He is the author of Remembering Vanessa, the first published biography of British horror star Vanessa Howard, printed in the Spring 2014 issue of Screem Magazine. From 2015 to 2017, he served as the assistant editor of Cinedump.com; in 2017, he joined Cinestate as story editor and staff writer for Fangoria magazine. Our Lady of the Inferno is his first novel.
- [04:20]Early life lessons
- [08:10] First stories read
- [12:40] Video games
- [21:00] Working at a haunted house/relaunching Fangoria
- [24:00] Our Lady of the Inferno
- [27:30] The night we were all going to die / Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich
- [34:15] Role as Story Editor for Fangoria / Submitting stories to Fangoria
- [42:20] My Pet Serial Killer by Michael J Seidlinger and Carnivorous Lunar Activities by Max Booth III
- [48:00] Problems with Dexter
- [52:00] Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, asks about working for Broken Arrow Police Department
- [01:01:20] Writing strong female characters
- [01:03:30] Writing authentically about New York City in the 1980s
- [01:08:20] A Spiritual prequel to Our Lady of the Inferno / not talking about works-in-progress
- [01:11:20] Praise from Jack Ketchum
- [01:15:10] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:18:00] Popular misconceptions about horror
- [01:23:50] Connect with Preston
- [01:24:20] Final thoughts
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett
A dream for a drug. Pre-order The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett, a limited edition chapbook published by Nightscape Press.