In this podcast Alma Katsu talks about The Hunger, the Donner Party, writing as escapism, and much more.
About Alma Katsu
Alma Katsu is the author of The Hunger, a reimagining of the story of the Donner Party with a horror twist. The Hunger made NPR’s list of the 100 Best Horror Stories, and was named one of the 21 best horror novels written by a woman. Ms. Katsu lives outside of Washington DC with her husband, musician Bruce Katsu. In addition to her novels, she has been a signature reviewer for Publishers Weekly, and a contributor to the Huffington Post. She is a graduate of the Johns Hopkins Writing Program and Brandeis University, where she studied with novelist John Irving. She also is an alumni of the Squaw Valley Community of Writers.
- [06:00] Early life lessons growing up
- [11:55] Influence of Japanese culture
- [29:30] Fake news and alternative facts
- [34:00] Don’t believe the memes!
- [36:10] Reading and writing as an escape
- [43:00] Horror community and Alma’s work
- [55:40] Stephen King
- [01:02:15] Ross Byers, via Patreon, asks about strange or amusing facts whilst researching The Hunger
- [01:04:45] Benjamin C. O’Connell, via Patreon, asks if the character’s personalities bare any similarities to their historical counterparts and the midwest settings
- [01:13:00] Thomas Joyce and Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, ask about research and plotter/pantser
- [01:25:00] Connect with Alma Katsu
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
The Overleden by Terence Simmons
The Overleden: Hell On Earth is an upcoming horror novel, from author Terence Simmons, that will terrorize your soul and make your worst nightmares come to life. A tale of ghastly events, grisly acts, soul-stripping, and betrayal. Some things are just not meant to be. The Fright begins October 30th, so pre-order your copy today!
The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett
A dream for a drug. Pre-order The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett, a limited edition chapbook published by Nightscape Press.