In this podcast Alma Katsu talks about The Hunger, the Donner Party, writing as escapism, and much more.
About Alma Katsu
Alma Katsu is the author of The Hunger, a reimagining of the story of the Donner Party with a horror twist. The Hunger made NPR’s list of the 100 Best Horror Stories, and was named one of the 21 best horror novels written by a woman. Ms. Katsu lives outside of Washington DC with her husband, musician Bruce Katsu. In addition to her novels, she has been a signature reviewer for Publishers Weekly, and a contributor to the Huffington Post. She is a graduate of the Johns Hopkins Writing Program and Brandeis University, where she studied with novelist John Irving. She also is an alumni of the Squaw Valley Community of Writers.
- [06:00] Early life lessons growing up
- [11:55] Influence of Japanese culture
- [29:30] Fake news and alternative facts
- [34:00] Don’t believe the memes!
- [36:10] Reading and writing as an escape
- [43:00] Horror community and Alma’s work
- [55:40] Stephen King
- [01:02:15] Ross Byers, via Patreon, asks about strange or amusing facts whilst researching The Hunger
- [01:04:45] Benjamin C. O’Connell, via Patreon, asks if the character’s personalities bare any similarities to their historical counterparts and the midwest settings
- [01:13:00] Thomas Joyce and Traci Kenworth, via Patreon, ask about research and plotter/pantser
- [01:25:00] Connect with Alma Katsu
Thanks for Listening!
Let us know how you enjoyed this episode:
Help out the show:
- Support This Is Horror on Patreon.
- Rate and review This Is Horror on iTunes. We read every review and they really do help.
- Share the episode on Facebook and Twitter.
- Subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
The Overleden by Terence Simmons
The Overleden: Hell On Earth is an upcoming horror novel, from author Terence Simmons, that will terrorize your soul and make your worst nightmares come to life. A tale of ghastly events, grisly acts, soul-stripping, and betrayal. Some things are just not meant to be. The Fright begins October 30th, so pre-order your copy today!
The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett
A dream for a drug. Pre-order The Broker of Nightmares by Jon Padgett, a limited edition chapbook published by Nightscape Press.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey