In this podcast Jon Padgett and Matt Cardin talk about Vastarien, Thomas Ligotti, The Creative Self, and much more.
Vastarien is a source of critical study and creative response to the corpus of Thomas Ligotti as well as associated authors and ideas.
- [03:30] Vastarien origin story
- [08:40] Why Vastarien title
- [20:20] Penguin edition Conspiracy Against The Human Race/Cadabra Records Ligotti’s The Bungalow House
- [28:10] Jon Padgett’s final message (in this podcast not in life)
- [31:10] What is the worst thing that has happened to you as a result of your own mind or imagination
- [34:20] Physical and mental and other sensations during sleep paralysis
- [45:45] The creative self and self
- [51:40] Andrew M. Reichart, via Patreon,
- [54:40] Scott Kemper, via Patreon, wants to know about other Ligotti-esque authors to become acquainted with
- [57:40] Films and TV shows that may appeal to Ligotti fans
- [01:10:00] Kendra Temples, via Patreon, asks anti-natalism and philosophical pessimism and impact
- [01:18:00] How Gnosticism fits into the vision of Vastarien
- [01:22:25] What should and shouldn’t people submit to Vastarien
- [01:26:35] Final question to ponder
Vastarien. The forbidden tome. The impossible otherworld. A textual entryway into
“…a place where everything was transfixed in the order of the unreal. . . . Each passage he entered in the book both enchanted and appalled him with images and incidents so freakish and chaotic that his usual sense of these terms disintegrated along with everything else. Rampant oddity seemed to be the rule of the realm; imperfection became the source of the miraculous — wonders of deformity and marvels of miscreation. There was horror, undoubtedly. But it was a horror uncompromised by any feeling of lost joy or thwarted redemption; rather, it was a deliverance by damnation. And if Vastarien was a nightmare, it was a nightmare transformed in spirit by the utter absence of refuge: nightmare made normal.”
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
- Support Vastarien on Kickstarter
- Pre-order The Bungalow House on Tape
- The Bungalow House by Thomas Ligotti, read by Jon Padgett on SoundCloud
- Jon Padgett fiction
- Matt Cardin fiction
- Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared
- A Course in Demonic Creativity
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/6306229/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey