In this podcast Nicole Cushing talks about writer’s block, depicting sexual violence, transgressive fiction, and much more.
About Nicole Cushing
Nicole Cushing is the Bram Stoker Award® winning author of Mr. Suicide. She has also written the Stoker-nominated short story collection The Mirrors and three stand-alone novellas (including her Shirley Jackson Award-nominated book Children of No One). Her latest novella, The Sadist’s Bible, is out now from 01 Publishing.
- [03:05] Interview start/early childhood lessons
- [07:40] Combating writer’s block
- [15:20] Setting limits to prevent overworking
- [19:00] Hobbyist vs serious writer
- [35:35] Influence of and lessons learnt from Richard Laymon and Jack Ketchum
- [40:40] Depicting sexual violence: mistakes and common traps
- [53:10] What is and isn’t transgressive writing
- [01:09:05] Current impressive authors writing transgressive fiction
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Crystal Lake Publishing
In the quiet of the forest, the darkest fears are born. Out September 29th from Jasper Bark and Crystal Lake Publishing: Quiet Places—A Novella of Cosmic Folk Horror. The people of Dunballan, harbour a dark secret. A secret that holds David McCavendish, last in a long line of Lairds, in its unbreakable grip. It’s down to Sally, David’s lover, to free David from the sinister clutches of the Beast. But, with the whole town against her, she must ally herself with an ancient woodland force and trace Dunballan’s secret back to its bitter origins. That’s Jasper Bark’s Quiet Places, blending folklore with psychological terror.
- Nicole Cushing
- Justine by Iben Mondrup
- Hermann Ungar
- Nicole Cushing’s Forgotten Lore YouTube series
- Milan Kundera
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/5777666/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey