In this podcast Livia Llewellyn talks about Furnace, childhood dreams, managing distractions, and much more.
About Livia Llewellyn
Livia Llewellyn is an award-winning writer of horror, dark fantasy and erotica, whose fiction has appeared in ChiZine, Subterranean, Apex Magazine, Postscripts, Nightmare Magazine, as well as numerous anthologies. Engines of Desire: Tales of Love & Other Horrors received a 2011 Shirley Jackson Award nomination for Best Collection, “Omphalos received a 2011 SJA for Best Novelette, and “Furnace” received a 2013 SJA nomination for Best Short Fiction. Her latest collection, Furnace, won This Is Horror’s ‘Short Story Collection of the Year’ in 2016.
- [03:05] Childhood dreams
- [12:10] Dealing with traumatic college experiences
- [14:00] Method acting to create characters
- [15:45] Starting point for stories
- [16:35] Lysette, via Patreon, asks about contributing to Dunham Manors Playhouse series, growing up in Alaska and Pacific Northwest, and characters inhabiting landscapes
- [26:55] Proving worth to yourself
- [30:00] Ordering short story collections and choosing the right opening and closing stories
- [36:00] Current writing playlist
- [48:25] Experiences working as a secretary that have helped shaped Livia as a writer
- [51:45] Daily habits and rituals
- [53:25] Discipline and managing distraction
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Crystal Lake Publishing
The eleven stories in Todd Keisling’s Ugly Little Things explore the depths of human suffering and ugliness, charting a course to the dark, horrific heart of the human condition. John Langan says, “Todd Keisling is a born storyteller, drawing the reader into artfully constructed narratives that scout the darker end of the literary spectrum with skill and bravado.” Brian Kirk says, “In Ugly Little Things, Todd Keisling ventures deep into the dark abyss of cosmic horror. What he finds there—or what’s found him—will terrify you.” This is going to hurt, and you’re going to like it. That’s Todd Keisling’s Ugly Little Things, out September 15th from Crystal Lake Publishing—Tales from the Darkest Depths.