In this podcast T.E. Grau talks about his forthcoming This Is Horror novella They Don’t Come Home Anymore, how to have a professional mindset, the novella form and self-evaluating writing.
About T.E. Grau
T.E. Grau is an author of horror, crime, and dark fiction whose work has been featured in dozens of anthologies, magazines, literary journals, and audio platforms. His debut book of short stories, The Nameless Dark: A Collection was nominated for a 2015 Shirley Jackson Award for Single-Author Collection, and ranks as the bestselling book published by Lethe Press in both 2015 and 2016. Grau lives in Los Angeles with his wife and daughter, and is currently working on his second collection and his first novel.
- [03:10] Interview start/most important thing learnt in last year
- [06:20] They Don’t Come Home Anymore and its genesis
- [08:40] Pre-order bonus
- [12:30] The novella form
- [16:00] Planning
- [20:50] Candice Tripp’s cover art for They Don’t Come Home Anymore
- [30:20] Professional mindset
- [32:10] Most impactful book in last year
- [49:45] Separating the art from the artist
- [53:20] Authors stopped reading because too objectionable
- [56:15] Advice to eighteen year old self
- [01:00:45] Lessons learned pre-fiction to prepare for fiction writing
- [01:03:15] Self-evaluating work
- [01:05:45] What story that isn’t usually classified as horror T.E. Grau would put within the genre
- [01:11:50] Misconceptions about T.E. Grau
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4846266/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey